Saturday, December 8, 2007

An Open Letter to NBC's Jeff Zucker

Jeff Zucker
President and Chief Executive Officer, NBC Universal
30 Rockefeller Plaza
12th Floor
New York, NY 10112

Dear Mr. Zucker,
My name is Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx. I've served in the military over seas. I know how hard it is to be away from family during the holidays. I can remember how the slightest mention or reminder of home, family, or loved ones would send my stomach and my emotions into full throttled anxiety. The feeling was an unbearable reminder of the overdose of loneliness I regularly experienced. But whenever I heard from home, in a letter or on the telephone, it was like a huge burden was lifted off my shoulders making my job much easier.

That is why when I heard about NBC's refusal to air a holiday advertisement meant to thank troops for serving overseas I could not stay silent. NBC's rejection of Freedom’s Watch's ad because the web address FreedomsWatch.org appears in the TV spot might be well intentioned company policy. However, not airing the ad while following that policy does more harm than good. The policy, however well intentioned, should be waived in this instance. Our military deserve to hear from America during this holiday season telling them thank you. Trust me, the comfort this will bring them will be priceless. And NBC, and you, Mr. Zucker, would be giving them a great Christmas gift by not enforcing this policy just this once. Please reconsider?

Sadly, and with deep regret, if NBC doesn't waive their policy, which is NBC's absolute right, I will have no choice but to officially disassociate myself, and my business with anything involving or relating to GE and NBC Universal. I will not watch your programming. I will not buy your products. I will not recommend your products. And I will officially, for ever after, associate GE and NBC Universal as an organization that holds American military members in less regard than a somewhat meaningless company policy. I hope this will not be the case.

I own a chain of preschools. And on a daily basis I personally interact with hundreds, and sometimes thousands of military and non-military families as well as service members. Unfortunately, I will not in good conscience stay silent on this issue. I will have no choice but to bring this situation to the attention of every person I come into contact with. I will use my limited but fairly significant platform to inform everybody I can about this unfortunate decision by NBC. I will also, respectfully, call for a boycott of GE's products which will include NBC Universal. And because my schools produce a bi-weekly newsletter that's sent out to all parents and guardians I will be sure and include this story in it as well as a detailed list of GE products they may choose to boycott.

This isn't something done for personal gain. Nor is it a political vendetta or revenge of any kind. This is an attempt by myself to get NBC to waive, just this once, a policy that hurts our military members serving over seas. In fact, any actions taken on this matter will be an unwelcome inconvenience on my part. But knowing first hand the feelings of sadness from being away from family during the holidays gives me more of a perspective on this matter, therefore I know it's importance. There is no way to repay our military and their families for them sacrificing so much. Telling them thank you this holiday during these trying times is a start that NBC should gladly embrace. Please reconsider your policy for the sake of our military members?

Thank you for your prompt attention to this request.
Very Truly Yours,

Xxxxxx Xxxxxx

No comments: